After being a Montessori educator for the past 14 years, I am astounded at all the computer software available for classroom use. My only link to public education has been through my two stepdaughters, with one living with us through her high school years. Yet her high school years were spent at ASFA, so they were not a traditional experience either. I am now learning about this technology through my younger daughter, who is a sophomore at Pelham.
I personally feel that computer software programs, if used for the intended purpose within the classroom will definitely benefit a child. I do not believe a computer program will ever replace a teacher in the classroom, no matter how advanced or interactive a program becomes. A computer can not assess and internalize a child’s immediate needs; or infer any frustration and success on their part. A teacher is there to help guide and nurture a child’s learning to make sure they succeed and grow to their fullest potential.
I support the constructivist viewpoint on using software programs that allow interactions amongst the students using the programs. These include simulations, instructional games, and problem solving software. Upon reading, I am impressed with the way simulations allow children to interact with activities a variety of times and each time change the outcome based upon the criteria they set up. What amazed me was that SimCity was a simulation that my oldest daughter used to love to play when she was younger. She would spend hours on the computer building her city and setting up situations within her created environment. When I asked her about it, she mentioned that she liked the way the programs matured as she got older.
The problem solving software impressed me because it helps develop a student’s higher level thinking skills. The software programs I read about seemed interesting and would keep the students intrigued in the subject matter through interaction and exploration.
After reading about these software programs, I surfed the internet for Montessori software programs. Believe it or not, there is a software company dedicated to the Montessori Method (www.mecssoftware.com). The programs are reading and language centered for the preschool and elementary level. The other programs are centered on the cultural areas of geography and science. They even made software focusing on math facts and time. The website offers free download demos for Montessorians to try. I plan on trying some of these and seeing if this is something worthwhile for our upper elementary classroom. I find this amazing and it supports what have I always thought; that if Maria Montessori was alive today she would embrace the technological age.
Tuesday, February 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment