Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Chapter 4 Response

The information I gathered from reading this chapter was informative and educational at the same time. This was an easy chapter to read because many of the programs I am already familiar with. Yet, many acronyms and their uses were explained that I never knew the meaning of before. RTF and HTML are two names I had always heard but was too embarrassed to ask their significance in technology. I actually thought it was more complicated than what it really turned out to be.

The main benefit I derived from reading is the detailed explanations of the three basic software programs and the impact they are having on education today. Even though educators differ on their opinions of technology in the classroom, many do realize the impact it is having on our society.

Word processing is the program I am most familiar with and one I use regularly in the classroom. I require all my 6th year students to type all their writing assignments and book reports in MLA format in preparation for Middle School. Also, our Upper Elementary class types any research projects they might be working on in the classroom. I use the time they are at the computer to answer any questions and give mini lessons on formatting and editing. Many are beginning to internalize how Word works and how to use all the manipulative within program to make their projects look better. I know from personal classroom experience that some students are able to express their thought easier typing than writing. I believe if this benefits a child’s educational development, a teacher should allow a student to write the way it comes naturally.

Even though I am a proponent for technology, I believe word processing should not be introduced until students have a firm foundation in their personal writing skills with pen and paper. Younger students need time to develop fine motor skills and dexterity needed in daily skills such as writing and later keyboarding. It is imperative as educators that we make sure students develop these skills to their fullest potential. Students make a lasting connection when actually writing a story on paper instead of typing it in. Not only is the student connecting with the story; they are also internalizing the sounds and words they are actually writing. If keyboarding, younger students are more focused on the typing skills than the writing skill. It is not until later after reading for revisions that a connection might be made. Our lower elementary students do type papers occasionally, but it is only after being written and revisions are made. This way the teachers feel that the students have made that connection with their work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Michelle in regard to word processing and when it is an appropriate time to be introduced. I think writing will always be an essential part of life. I couldn't have stated it better when you talk about internalizing the sounds and words as students write with paper and pencil. I think as adults, we take that for granted. Just typing on this blog makes me realize how many words I misspell because I am not relying on the automatic spell-check!
I think you told me that you took the Reading and Learning class. I wonder why there isn't a technology section in the Best Practice book. Do you think it is because of the mergence of the direct and constructivist theory- since Best Practice is extreme Constructivist?