When I read the title of chapter eight, I assumed it was going to explore the research options available on the Internet. Little did I know the Internet had so much to offer as far as learning activities? I was familiar with basic researching and using web quest as part of learning. It never occurred to me to use email as a form of writing; or that there were ways to explore cultures and publish works. The last section of the chapter was extremely overwhelming to me since actually building a web page seems daunting. Even after reading on how to create one, I am still confused.
The use of the electronic “keypals” is an option I am looking forward to exploring with a good friend and teacher of mine in Wisconsin. I feel this could be valuable tool in writing skills and increase interactions and awareness among a different region within the United States. Many students are unaware that people in various regions of our country go about their lives like they do. I am hoping to discuss this at length with Anneke; and for us to develop a time frame in which students can communicate next year.
Virtual field trips were also interesting and will be a valuable resource to explore topics not easily understood. I plan to explore this option more over the summer and try to implement it into my cultural studies next year.
I do agree with the author that majority of Internet activities can create collaborative learning experiences. This is the main reason as a Montessori teacher; I incorporate them into our curriculum when beneficial. As Roblyer stated in the chapter “web based projects focus on broadening students’ perspectives on their own and other cultures and providing insights into how their culture relates to others…(256). It is up to the teacher to strengthen a child’s understanding and help them develop into well rounded individuals.
I feel the above mentioned key topics will enable me to transform my Montessori classroom into the 21st century. I plan to explore the various collections of Web Based Learning activities listed on page 257. My goal is to find projects that raise a student’s higher level thinking skills and force them to become teachers of their world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment