What is learning?
Learning is a multifaceted term that is used in education and throughout the workforce. As individuals we are always learning and growing in work and in life. I personally feel you never quit learning; and there is always something new and exciting to learn.
As Maria Montessori said “We do not believe in the in the educative power of words and commands alone, but seek cautiously, and almost without the child's knowing it, to guide his natural activity.” It is up to us to nurture and guide the child to develop to his/her fullest potential.
Listed below is what I feel are the key points to learning:
Learning is exploration of the environment.
Learning incorporates concrete materials that allow a child explore skills/lessons without realizing the knowledge he is obtaining.
Learning allows the child to work independently or within groups to develop projects and/or complete lessons.
Learning allows freedom of choice in how a child completes an assignment with appropriate direction from the teacher.
Teachers act as a guide and impart concepts to the student and then allow him to move forward in his studies.
Learning allows for mistakes; since mistakes is what everyone learns from.
Students grow and develop into independent and responsible citizens within the school and society.
Response to Tina about learning: (Sun., 3/9/08)
Tina,
Hello! I responded to this last night but I see it didn’t post. Something happened and the wireless froze in the house as I was submitting.
I to believe that anyone learns from accomplishing a particular task or goal. I also believe that learning is being allowed to explore your environment and guiding children to be independent learners. It is up to the teacher to add that spark and find what motivates a student.
Do you feel this way? I love watching my students discover a concept that seemed so foreign not to long ago. I witnessed this just this past week when teaching binomials to the 6th graders. As approaching square roots and solving with materials; one of my students saw the correlation and went on to explain how solving square roots relates to division and by using the materials she was able to relate the algebraic formulas.
Response to Ashley about learning: (Mon., 3/10/08)
I know how you feel about recognizing mechanic skills but not applying them in writing. I go through the same situation with my students. I try to use those times as teachable moments when I meet with a student about their writing. I will even mention the lessons we have covered in language mechanics and then ask them to show me the correct way to apply it in their writing. It is frustrating when you know they know something. I feel it develops more as they mature. What my 4th graders do is vastly different from the 6th graders.
Response to Valerie about learning: (Sat., 3/8/08)
Valerie:
What a wonderful way to summarize learning. I too believe learning is an integrated experience that continues throughout our life. Working together or independently is an important part of the learning process. This process allows us to grow as individuals and form our opinions and beliefs to share with others. It is up to us to nurture and guide our students so they are able to educate others about their experiences.
I like that you mentioned that teachers are not knowledgeable about everything and that we should not be afraid to mention it. I too work to find the answers to questions that my students put forth. Sometimes I even encourage the student to help in finding the answer; then they are able to share their new found knowledge with others. I feel it is imperative that students realize we are teachers and part of being a teacher is that we are always learning too.
Response to Tina about Learning: (Mon., 3/10/08)
Tina!
I love the way you mentioned that the classroom is the community and not yours alone. We establish class rules and consequences at the beginning of the year ourselves. These are all student led, and it is amazing the consequences they come up with. Some are harsher than what we would establish. Eventually a medium is met.
I too work on meeting each child’s learning potential. It is powerful that you take the time and do so in your classroom. We must remember that the needs of the students must be met for success to occur.
Response to Ashley about learning: (Mon., 3/10/08)
Ashley!
Your definition of learning is so true. Students must realize that learning is ongoing and continues until we leave this earth. I agree that students must realize that teachers are learnrs too and that it is okay to make a mistake. If I don’t have the answer to something, I tell my students I will research and get back with them. Or I offer for them to help me find the answer. This makes learning something more engaging to me. I know that can be difficult with younger students; but it works well with 4th to 6th graders.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment