I found this chapter very informative for me due to the fact that I have taught three students from other countries that lacked English proficiency. One student was from the Ukraine, one from a Russian orphanage, and the other from Venezuela. While teaching each student was a challenge, it was a rewarding experience at the same time. The wonderful thing was this did not happen all at the same time. So each experience was a learning experience.
I feel that the students being in a Montessori environment helped them feel more relaxed in their learning. Each student was able to move at their own pace and receive one-on- one assistance the majority of the time. Violeta, my Ukrainian student, even carried a hand held translator to help in real confusing times. After about three months she became more comfortable and started leaving her translator at home. Alex, my Russian boy, came lacking in language skills and spent extra time learning phonetics using Montessori materials. Today he is a fluent reader and an avid history/geography buff. Out of all the students, Ana had the easiest transition. Being from Venezuela, she easily adjusted to the English language. If she ever became confused, she would communicate with our Spanish teacher and she would help her understand better.
Even though each child flourished in the Montessori environment, I feel many of the software programs would have benefited my English Language Learners. I feel these programs would have made their learning more meaningful and concepts clearer faster. When the students did go to the library, the librarian did incorporate listening skill activities for them. These activities helped in their communication with their peers and made them become more comfortable in communicating with others.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment